Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ground Zero, Rally, Heading West - New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania







AUGUST 22, 2010 - DAY 18 - NEW YORK, NY TO CLEARFIELD, PA

Sunday morning of the ride is always bittersweet and emotionally packed between the visit to Ground Zero and saying good-bye to new friends and old until next year.

We pack up and head out to the bikes early because we've got to load them up, grab some coffee, and line the bikes up on the roadway. They close off a lane or two on 7th Avenue for us, then once we take off it is closed all the way down through Times Square and to lower Manhattan. Most people are cheering us on, but there are again a few who see us as an annoyance to their morning routine. Some of the cabbies try to sneak along side us but luckily there are plenty of Road Captains and other riders who corral them to a stop to keep us all safe.

After we all park we gather round the PATH Station entrance and Richard stands and speaks of his experience on 9/11/01. He had been in one of the towers. He tells of his thoughts, his feelings, his ideas, his views of what was happening and what he saw. It was quiet as we all listened intently, remembering in our own minds where we were and what we were doing whether near or far from the attacks. When he was done, Nick spoke briefly for the Foundation, closing out this year's ride.

Usually people mill about for a brief time then take off for home, but this year many are sticking around for a rally that will take place just a block from where we had been standing. This is in protest for the Islamic Center and Mosque planned just blocks from where the terrorist attacks were carried out. There is a large group which grows as time goes on.

As we are standing around before moving up the block we see an older gentleman walking that way with carrying a sign that reads "Remember 9/11". Angel decides she needs to have her picture taken with him so she walks towards him, calling out. He stops and informs her that he already has two girlfriends and can't afford to have more. We can't help but laugh and tell him he now has two more, but we are his California girlfriends. He decides that's ok. So Angel takes a picture with him, we all chat, and he tells us that his name is Charlie and we can now say that we have met the oldest living sailor. We all say good-bye and move on. Later during the rally a woman taps me on the shoulder to tell me someone is calling out to me. I look across the street and see Charlie who smiles and waves. He makes my day.

There are local and national media everywhere, local politicians, union leaders, firefighters, family member of 9/11 victims, actors and musicians. To stand there and hear retired NYPD officer Daniel Rodriguez belt out God Bless America gave me chills. To hear politicians take a stand for something they believe is right rather than what won't "rock the boat" was refreshing and left me wishing we had such people in California. The entire rally was well attended, civilized and controlled, very passionate, and well planned. As we left the area I found myself walking in front of actor Tony Lo Bianco whom I admire. I turn around, shake his hand, and thank him for his stand. He sees my 9/11 Ride t-shirt and thanks the group of us for our actions as well. Then we see Charlie again and we wave good-bye and tell him we will see him next year, and he agrees.

I am not going to politicize here about the cause because I don't want this to be a forum for arguments. Obviously I attended the rally and so my views can easily be determined. I also feel very strongly about them.

During the rally it rains off and on, but is warm enough that by the end I am dry once again. A quick lunch and then off to the bikes to begin our journey westward and home. We are feeling a bit sad and definitely melancholy. As we head out I see a Port Authority sergeant in his car just ahead. I roll up and ask directions to the Holland Tunnel. He tells us to follow. At the next intersection I explain that I am retired, we shake hands and he wishes us well.

This time the trip through the tunnel is not any fun and is filled with cars, heat and exhaust. I have looked up directions but in written form and not on a map, which is easier for me. Angel has her buddy Tom (Tom-Tom navigation) attached to her windshield to help lead us out. After we exit the tunnel and head to the list of roads to take you in differing directions, I look up and see the correct number for the highway we need. Angel is to my right and slightly ahead, staring intently at Tom. When she motions for us to exit right I try to get her attention to veer left but she doesn't see or hear me. We wind up taking a scenic tour of Jersey City, and it is not one found on any tourist maps. Good thing I didn't let her go off alone.

Now, I know nav systems are great but I am not a fan. I am old school and prefer looking at a map, visually seeing where I need to go, and then remembering it as I go along. But when you have no map and don't know where you are they can be a lifesaver. However, my pet peeve is that you don't rely on them, they are just a tool and you cannot blindly follow. This is one of those times....

As we head out of Jersey City we cross a different bridge than planned. This one has a ribbed metal roadway and grabs our front tires, jerking our bikes as we ride. Not enjoyable. Then once we find our correct highway we have to stop for gas and a pit stop, pulling into a Shell at Rahway. The bathroom was so bad you honestly had to hold your breath. We couldn't wait to leave, and several other did too without using it.

Yesterday we cancelled our hotel reservation for tonight in Grove City due to the fact we would be leaving so late in the day because of the rally. We plan to just ride across as much of Pennsylvania as we can and then stop. We don't want to ride at night and risk coming across deer, or them us.

Though we have been warm and have our mesh jackets on we are still a bit damp from the rain. We didn't realize that we would be riding through the mountains, the Poconos, and begin to feel chilled. But all was good once we dropped back down. But we have decided that the truckers on I-80 are maniacs.

When we made another gas/pit stop we checked with my Droid and found a Holiday Inn Express in Clearfield, PA and booked a room. It was dark as we arrived and after unloading our gear we headed out to dinner. As we got out of the elevator a family with young children got in and we heard them state that their room was next to ours. We inquired at the desk if we could move. Two exhausted adults do not want to risk kid noise.

Dinner was a quick walk across the Car Wash/Pet Wash parking lot (yes, you read that right) to Burger King and by the time we returned they had the perfect room for us, bottom floor corner room. Though we don't want to be heading for home we are very happy with our room and settle in for the night.

Today's stats: 271 miles and 6 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment