Friday, September 3, 2010

California - Homeward Bound











SEPTEMBER 1, 2010 - DAY 28 - OXNARD TO HOLLISTER, CA

This day has been almost a month in the making and some would think we would be chomping at the bit to get off the road and off our bikes. But the reality is that we are not tired of the road or our bikes, and our backsides are not the least bit sore.

This has been an adventure of a lifetime, through thick and thin, good and bad and our friendship has survived. We have seen a great deal of our beloved country, met so many wonderful, amazing, supportive and patriotic people and realize there is so much more we want to do and so much more we want to be a part of. There is more to see and more people to meet. And to be honest we are saddened to realize that the rudest, least supportive and most self-absorbed people are those from our own home state.

We miss our young children, they are so much a part of who we each are, and our desire to stay out on the road is no reflection on them. The mother in each of us is dying to run back to them and hold them in our arms so tight as to never let go.

But the individual in each of us wants to keep experiencing all life and our country has to offer. But the two have to be reconciled so we decide that when we return home today our goal will be to teach our children that life is meant to be experienced and enjoyed to it's fullest; that this is a great country we live in; that the majority of people out there love our country and it's people; that there are those who unselfishly give their careers or ultimately their lives in support of it's citizenry; and that there is no greater gift than to spend a life dedicated to honor and integrity.

It seems that everyday of this trip we have traded off as to who is ready first. But it also seems that the one who is always feeling as though something has been misplaced or lost is me. Today is different. Today I haven't rearranged things to the point I can't find them. Today everything is easily packed and loaded up. And today Angel is unpacking her bike, emptying her bag, and asking the front desk to allow access back into our room because she can't locate her keys. Until she reaches into the front pocket of her jeans. Today is also different because there is no warmth outside but cool California coastal weather, including fog.

It is noon when we finally saddle up for the last day, pulling away from our last hotel, already in our home state and heading north and towards home. We have plotted out route, planned our lunch stop and calculated that we will make it to Hollister before dark.

We head up Highway 1 to Highway 101, then cut over into the hillside at Highway 154, where the weather quickly changes from coastal cool to inland heat. It is very warm and we are thinking maybe that's the problem with the driver behind Angel. She is practically driving up her tailpipe when there is no where else to go on the mountain road. I am watching this all unfold in my mirror, so when a passing lane opens up I slow down and move right, and Angel follows suit. The crazy woman flies past her, giving her the one finger salute, and then flies past me only to have to slow down for the vehicle in front of me and ultimately the next red light. And we are directly behind her.

When Angel stops along side me she is angry because of the danger this woman had put her in. She wants to pull up alongside and tell her off. I tell her to go for it, that I have her back, and will be right there no matter what, and remind her that if things begin to fall apart I've got a gun and knife. But no action is taken on Angel's part. However, we must seem menacing anyway because at the next signal light the crazy lady blatantly blows through a red light to keep from staying directly in front of us. We get the biggest laugh out of this, literally laughing out loud.

But we pull into the Dutch town of Solvang, immediately find a parking spot in the shade directly in front of the restaurant we want to eat in, remove the sweatshirts since it's 95 degrees out, and have a terrific lunch. Before we head out again Angel strikes up a conversation with the men who had just parked next to our bikes. But the best part of the entire chat was when one of them realized our trip she was telling about involved only the two of us, and he admitted he thought we had spent the trip on the backseat of the bikes!

We continue north, gas up in Santa Barbara, and keep going. The heat stays with us but it is obvious we are no longer away from home because there is no humidity. Highway 101 is beautiful and the same as always, moving away from the coastal beauty to the inland heat. Our next and last stop is for gas in Paso Robles. We ensure that we get the rest and fluids we need because there will not be another stop until we arrive home.

We are surprised to find the warm weather stayed with us in Salinas and as we arrive in Hollister. I have already decided to ride straight to my son's football practice before even going home to get the car. I want to see him as fast as possible. We enter town and get to the intersection where I must turn and anticipate Angel riding on. Instead, after being together all this time, she pulls up alongside me for a high-five and good-bye before heading home herself.

As I pull up to the elementary school field where all the Pop Warner football teams and cheer are practicing I immediately know where on the field my son is because he is the only one who turns around to look when he hears my bike pull up. I walk across the field, saying hi to the parents I pass, getting as close as I can and watching my son practice, giving me a little wave, until they break. There is no greater joy than to see the ear to ear grin on his face as he walks up to me, and feel the first of three big hugs he gives me ~ and in front of all his teammates.

I don't want to leave his sight but have to go get the car to drive him home. A car, strange to be in one and stranger still to drive one. And it's not until he's in it that he asks what we have at home for dinner. I suddenly realize I am again responsible for someone else. I also realize that after being on the road for 28 days that whatever food may be at home is not going to be edible, so we decide to grab a quick dinner on our way home. As we pull away from Super Taqueria, dinner in hand, the thought of responsibility strikes again when my son asks what we will do for breakfast come morning. I decide we will eat out, just as I have been doing for the past four weeks, and then I will once again learn to go grocery shopping. Just the first of "normal routine" things I need to re-learn.

It feels strange to be home but nothing feels better than to be in the company of my son. But I kind of wish the girls were around too, never mind how long they've been out on their own. Being home just makes me realize I miss them too. Though it feels strange to be here it also suddenly feels normal too. Yep, reality is sinking in. But I will never be the same.

Today's stats: 303 miles and 7 hours

TOTAL MILEAGE: 7990.4 miles, I feel we have earned the right to round up to 8000.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why you constantly felt the need to rag on California in several of these posts. I've met good and bad people everywhere, California is no exception.

    ReplyDelete