Thursday, September 2, 2010

Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin






AUGUST 24, 2010 - DAY 20 - GOSHEN, IN TO MILWAUKEE, WI

I was excited about today because I wanted to get a picture of the street sign showing an Amish horse & carriage, plus I was going to get to see the University of Notre Dame. Would you believe that on the entire route out of town we never saw a sign?!

However, we did make it to South Bend and the home of the Fighting Irish, though in a roundabout way. It's like we were riding circles around the University before we finally found it. And when we did I turned on my right blinker and Angel missed it. So to keep from turning into her I was about to turn into the on-coming lane when I saw a truck, so I just continued forward and up onto the sidewalk on the other side of the street, riding down until the truck passed, then crossed over and joined Angel. That's one way to make an entrance!

I've never seen a map of the school but somehow riding through the campus I rode right to the athletic facilities, and the football fields. Must be in my blood (thanks Dad!). I pulled my bike up onto the sidewalk in front of the practice field for a photo op, surprising Angel. I am the rule follower and rarely break even the most minor ones. But even security drove past and no one said a word. Next I cruised by THE football stadium and specifically the Knute Rockne Gate. I felt like a kid in a candy store, not too sure what Angel was thinking as she watched my excitement over such things. But she's heard me talk about football before so I'm sure it wasn't too surprising.

Next we headed to the student bookstore. Before we walked in we were taking a few photos when a dad sitting alone outside suddenly commented that we should have ridden down a tunnel and out onto the field. He then explained he was walking across campus as he saw us stop in front of the stadium. He said he was secretly hoping we would & then we would have been famous - once the arrest hit the papers anyway. He is from Canada and his son is there on a hockey scholarship.

Inside the bookstore was crowded because all the students were buying books - go figure. It was the start of school so it was a little crazy, but they had a good checkout system so though the line was long but it was not a long wait to purchase those needed souvenirs.

After appeasing my lust for football lore we hit the road once again. Somehow time keeps flying by and we find ourselves behind the time frame we thought we would be at, so once again we hit the interstate. By now we are desensitized to the crazy truckers but are ever mindful of them.

We are excited as we approach Chicago. Technically I have been there, outside of the airport, but it was only for a few hours in the middle of the night so I am not sure if it really counts. We can see the downtown off to our right and decide we want to detour and have lunch there rather than pushing on toward Milwaukee. I see a sign for State Street and know it will take us there, so we exit into the projects. I look at Angel and tell her I only take her to the best places! Then I tell her that whatever happens, do not stop. About now I'm wishing I was wearing my gun rather than it being locked up behind me in my tour pak.

But the reality is we make it all the way without a single incident, or anything even close. Personally, from some of the looks we got from people on the street I think they were too surprised to see two biker chicks riding through to think anything else!

When we made a parking spot for ourselves near some construction we decided to just eat at the Chipotle nearby. As we got off the bikes a homeless man approached and I was ready with my usual replies. Instead he asked for a meal and somehow I said I could do that and to follow me. That was a first - I must be going soft in retirement. He was very courteous the entire time, didn't try to order everything, and I made sure he got something to drink too. After getting his food he took it to go. Now the old me kicked back into gear and I worried he was going to pilfer through our bikes while he knew we were eating, so once I set my food down I headed out the building only to find nobody anywhere near the bikes and Darryl was gone too. Now I could enjoy my lunch.

When we walked back to the bikes a nicely dressed young man asked if the bikes were ours, as I'm sure the clothing attire gave us away. He looked "official" and we were ready for him to tell us we needed to move them. Instead he was all excited, asking us about them and excited to hear about our travels. He introduced himself as the "doorman to the world". And after our chat he gave us directions to quickly get on Lakeshore Blvd so that we could ride along the famous stretch of road as we headed north.

And we headed all the way north to Milwaukee and the Harley-Davidson Museum. First we cooled off with drink at the bar (i.e. water, coffee and diet coke). Then into the museum we went, ooohing and ahhing over everything. We even loved the exhibit from the "incident" in Hollister way back when with the Boozefighters and the inspiration for the Marlon Brando movie "The Wild One". A little bit of home in Milwaukee.

Then we had to head out to Miller Park for our H-D parking and seating for the Brewers v. Dodger game. Now anyone who knows me knows why I was there, but if you just assume I would root for the California team you are way off base. I can't even bring myself to cheer on the Dodgers when it benefits the San Francisco Giants- ever. We got to ride right up to the stadium for parking, walked only a few feet into the gate & straight upstairs to our seating in the outfield, food and drink included. If you ever get the chance, do it! Plus the bullpen is directly below and provides nice views.

Exhaustion was overtaking me so I shocked Angel with the suggestion we leave before the game ended. Off to the downtown Hilton we went. It's an older hotel but wow! It is classic, with gilding, huge chandeliers, and old fashioned rooms. And the price is very reasonable.

Today's stats: 254 miles and 6.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment